Friday, January 20, 2006

THE MAN IN THE DOORWAY

I came out of the lift on the Fifth Floor and saw a man sitting in the doorway immediately to the right. It was the man who a few days ago I’d seen coming out of the bottoom lift with Half Haircut.
As I took my clothes out of the dryer I was thinking about what he was doing there and if he'd still be there when I went back.
I left the laundry and the lift was at the 13th floor so as I stood waiting I turned to the man in the doorway and said, ‘you waiting for someone?’
‘Yes, for B,' he said. 'I said I’d be here about half eleven quarter to twelve but he must be at the chemist getting his scrip.’
‘Ah.’
‘Yes he’s ill like me so we look out for each other.’
Pause.
‘Seen many people come by?’ I asked.
‘What d’you mean?’
‘Well, come past here since you’ve been waiting?’ I said, gesturing with my hand.
‘No, though I’m here a lot and I must know most people in the block.’
‘You don’t live here then?’
‘No,’ he said.
‘You look out for each other,’ I said.
‘That’s what it’s all about isn’t it?’ he said.
The lift arrived and I said ‘bye.’
When I got out at my floor I realised how anxious I'd felt about that man being there in the doorway and how hostile my questioning of him had been.

3 Comments:

At Sat Jan 21, 08:45:00 AM, Blogger sb4444 said...

was that the guy who nicked your guitar?

 
At Sat Jan 21, 04:32:00 PM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Sat Jan 21, 04:34:00 PM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

I think he might have been involved in some way but I have no proof and he is the man I saw triggered my memory of speaking to the thief on the phone

 

Post a Comment

<< Home