Friday, March 02, 2007

GRANDAD

Grandad is an eighty-six year old man I know who I don’t so much chat with as shout at.
‘I gave up drink before I ended up in Glenside,’ he said.
‘What happened?’
‘The wife went off with another man and left me with our son to bring up on my own...and I had a mortgage to pay.’
‘What did you do?’
‘I gave up the drink. I thought it would help.’
‘You drink much?’
‘No. A couple of ciders at the end of the day after work. Being a driver I had a licence to protect. I was dependent on it.’
‘So you ended up in Glenside?’
‘It was after giving up the drink...it all got too much...that’s it really.’
He took a sip of tea then put the cup back on its saucer, ‘my son said she wanted to come back to me but I couldn’t let her after what she’d done.’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home