Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A BETTER WAY

Island John texted me from Stokes Croft outside Mackies, where we’d said we’d meet and watch the football, at least that was the idea.
‘If I’d seen who was at the bar I’d’ve said let’s go somewhere else,’ said Island John. ‘But he blanked me so it should be alright. If he was going to punch me in the mouth I think he’d’ve done it already.’
We had a drink during which we decided to go elsewhere because a) the barman wasn’t able to find the channel with the football and b) a man we identified as having mental health issues was getting a little too close to us for our comfort...
...elsewhere was the Hare...and Chelsea won, though we hardly noticed, talking throughout the game, I’m glad we did, it’s been a while...
After the pub we came back to mine for coffee, wondered about different ways of communicating, and our personal favourites.
Island John thought about calling a taxi to take him home but, leaving to catch a bus, he said, ‘I don’t want to go through the pit, is there a better way?’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home