Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY

I’m reading one of the PEVSNOR ARCHITECTURAL GUIDES. This one’s written by Andrew Foyle and it’s about Bristol. It was lent me by Furst when we met in Starbucks yesterday.
He said, ‘I’ve got a book for you.’
‘The Pat Barker?’ I said.
‘It’s slow,' he said. ‘I can’t get into it.’
‘So you’re lending it to me?’
‘No,’ he said and reached down left and into his bag.
‘Nice one,’ I said. ‘Thanks,’ when he handed it me.
Index of Localities, Streets and Buildings
Stokes Croft 31, 253, 259, 284n.
The chapter was Walk 10. Kingsdown to Stokes Croft.
“...Spring Hill, or Montague Hill further w. Both emerge on to Dove Street, dwarfed by Dove Street Flats, by the City Architect’s Department, 1965-8. Three fourteen-storey slabs with lower linking blocks, and of little architectural merit. Despite protests, a swathe was cut through the shabby and part-derelict Georgian houses here, to provide 347 flats, just a handful more than the number of houses demolished: the conservation ethos had yet to gain acceptance, and building new was cheaper...”


Foyle, A. (2004) Bristol, Pevsnor Architectural Guides, Yale University Press,
New Haven & London

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home