Thursday, July 10, 2008

TOO OBVIOUS

As The D and I walked towards the entrance he was coming from the opposite direction but was closer than us so we slowed down.
He took from his pocket, I assumed, his keys, considering where he was, and he looked up. He seemed to be gesturing with his head and I imagined it might be, ‘You coming in? Shall I hold the door/lift for you?’ and I felt a little intimidated. I don’t want to get too close to people in the block with all the goodness knows what complications might result...and I think I know this man from some other place so he might remember me.
Through the second set of doors, I heard the lift open and he was there still, waiting for the lift, though we’d taken our time.
He got in first, pressed for his floor then The D, she pressed for ours, then me, last.
The man coughed, several times, which was most of the way up until the lift stopped he said, ‘Thanks,’ getting out.
‘Thanks for what?’ I said.
‘Thanks for letting me cough all over you,’ said The D.
‘I think he was stifling a sneeze.’
‘We should’ve thanked him for not sneezing all over us.’
‘That might’ve been too obvious.’

2 Comments:

At Fri Jul 11, 07:48:00 PM, Blogger baruch said...

I have a sense of deja vu about this one

 
At Fri Jul 11, 11:39:00 PM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

you can say that again

 

Post a Comment

<< Home