Wednesday, November 14, 2007

BROWSING

I wasn’t going to stop but I’d seen a bag I liked and thought I’d take a second look so I rode over when the traffic was clear.
As I leaned my bike against the window of the shop I saw him out of the corner of my eye. I hoped he hadn’t seen me, that he’d walk past.
‘Hello,’ he said.
‘What you up to?’ I asked, decided I’d have a conversation, not to’d be awkward, need an explanation.
‘Working in a kitchen,’ he said. ‘And I’ve just met a woman.’
‘Oh yeh?’
‘Yes. I’m really excited,’ he said. ‘And we’re going dancing later.’
We said goodbye and I went into the shop, take a closer look at the bag.
‘Can I help you?’ said one of the shop assistants, a young man.
‘No thanks,’ I said.
‘Just browsing?’
Not, “just browsing,”’ I said. ‘Browsing.’

ERG

I bought a book today : Dictionary of Difficult Words.
erg (eg) n. a unit of energy : the work done when point of application of force of one dyne moves one centimetre. -al, n. potential energy. -asia n. fondness for work. -atocracy, n. government by workers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home