Tuesday, September 30, 2008

BUS PASS AGE

We met, the three of us, in Cabot Circus. Neither Cake nor Thebus had been there since it opened and they wanted a look.
‘Help we’re here and we’re lost in wonder,’ said a text as I turned left on to Bond Street.
‘Don’t worry, I’ll be there soon,’ I texted back, hoping to reassure.
From the Horsefair near MacDonalds, down to the centre of the circus where I saw them the on the first level and took the escalator, and up behind them as they studied one of the information posts, Cake standing to the right of Thebus who knelt before it pointing his finger at the map was showing.
‘I was just praying,’ said Thebus getting up when I said, ‘Hello.’
After a brief tour, we crossed Castle Park - stopped for a joint, admired the water feature near the church - on our way to one of the pubs on Victoria Street the far side of Bristol Bridge.
‘That’s the one I was talking about,’ said Thebus. ‘The Kings Head.’
But before we went in we had a look around “The Temple or The Holy Cross,” just to the left of and behind the pub.
Dark corners I thought would be good for a quiet night if homeless but ‘I’d sleep in the park,’ said Thebus, and I said, ‘If you did that at least you wouldn’t be trapped if someone found you.’
One time I slept beneath a bench in Trafalgar Square, and was gone before the police, who, when I woke in the morning, where arresting another dosser on a bench against an adjacent wall to me, got to where I’d been sleeping. That’s why I’d kept with my boots on.
‘I’ll have one of those,’ said Cake.
‘Two pints of the Doom Bar, then,’ said Thebus to the barmaid.
‘It’s a lovely pint, isn’t it?’ she said as she pulled the first into a straight glass.
But neither Cake nor Thebus answered and I thought, ‘How rude,’ but maybe they didn’t hear what she said and anyway it’s a harsh judgement to make of two people who bought me drinks all night because I’ve run out of money.
From the Kings Head to the Seven Stars by the Fleece, from there to Broadmead, down Union Street, St. James Barton, Stokes Croft, and wondering if the new massage service had a takeaway service.
Shame we couldn’t afford a session for Cake seeing as it was his birthday and it would’ve been a nice present for a man nearing bus pass age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home