Saturday, December 20, 2008

EVEN MORE

My watch said, ‘22:42.’
‘Is there a bus coming soon?’
‘I’m sorry?’ I said, a moment to adjust to company.
‘Is there a bus coming soon?’ said the man again.
Beard, long side-parted black hair, eyes with the orange of a street light in them. He spoke quite loud and flat.
‘There’s one at forty-one,’ I said.
‘Is that soon?’
‘It’s forty-two by my watch.’
‘Ten forty-two?’
‘Yes.’
He said, ‘You going for a few drinks?’
‘No,’ I said. ‘I’m going home.’
‘I thought you might be going for a few drinks in town get the night flyer back.’
‘Not today,’ I said.
I liked him. I could bear him talking.
‘Here’s one now,’ he said. ‘That’s lucky...for me anyway. What about you,’ he said, ‘you been waiting long?’
‘No. I just got here.’
As the bus pulled in I moved to the end of the shelter in anticipation. I got on first, sat upstairs at the front on the right.
The man travelled downstairs, got off a few stops later. I heard him say, ‘Happy Christmas,’ to the driver and I liked him even more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home