Saturday, January 03, 2009

DINNER

‘Thanks for acknowledging me,’ she said.
The young woman selling the Big Issue on Stokes Croft, between City Road and Mr.Tomato.
- the billboard lights showing the front plate missing -
- the van with Banksy on the side passes in front of us crossing the road from Moon Street -
I had to ask her twice what she’d said, ‘“Thanks for acknowledging me,”’ she said.
It was cold, a slight breeze blowing into us on our way to Rita’s.
‘A pound for the bag,’ he said grinning first at me and D then his colleague.
‘You should,’ I said, ‘charge,’ meaning it.
‘Ten pounds,’ he said - that grin again - when he handed me the bag, in it two regular chips and a tub of curry sauce.’
‘Funny,’ I said, ‘fuckers in there.’
‘You think?’ said D.
‘Three pounds,’ I said. ‘Not bad for dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home