Friday, October 20, 2006

THE OLD MAN

The old man in the pub said, ‘do you know, “The Last Time,” by Marty Robbins?’
‘No,’ I said, ‘but I’ll have a look on the internet, see if I can learn it.’
‘Oh, okay,’ he said. ‘Do you know...’ titles of a few other songs I’d not heard of.
‘Sorry, no,’ I said.
We sat next to each not talking, listening to the musicians playing. I turned to my friend about to say something to her when he tapped on my shoulder and said, ‘you got a pen?’
I didn’t, not on me, and nor did my friend, she said when I asked but I got a pencil from my jacket was the other side of the room.
‘It’s a pencil,’ I said giving it to him.
He used it to write, on a piece of paper about the size of a beer mat, my name, then he said, ‘I’ll make a list of songs, leave it behind the bar...’
‘Give it to the him,’ I said pointing to a man sat on a chair the right of a table halfway along the wall to the left of us, ‘he’s the landlord.’
Later, I told the landlord what I’d said to the old man, ‘do you know who I mean?’
‘What, you mean the cider drinker you were talking to?’
‘He’s a cider drinker, is he?’
‘He pissed himself in here a couple of times recently,’ he said.
‘Well, yeh, whatever,’ I said, ‘if he comes in gives you a list of songs for me, keep it, then give it to me next week.’

2 Comments:

At Fri Oct 20, 12:41:00 PM, Blogger sb4444 said...

The Marty Robbins website.

Or Martyr Obbins, as we call him round our way.

 
At Fri Oct 20, 10:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I went to M&S today to buy some birthday presents for a 9 year old boy. They do gifts 3 for the price of 2.
"twenty seven pounds 52 please."
"what, huh, can you check... did it put the discount up? Cos they are meant to be 3 for the price of 2, look"
"Oh, I see. I'll go and ask the manager. Would you mind waiting?"
Ten minutes reading the Evening Post later (during which I find an article about the stokescroftian and later find out it's someone I sort of know)
"Yes madam,, you are entitled to a discount. But I have to charge you 1p, cos I can't sell it to you for nothing"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home