Sunday, October 22, 2006

STUCK IN THE MIDDLE

‘Did you notice she’s not talking to me?’ he said when Godmother’d left the laundry.
‘Not especially,’ I said, ‘though I noticed she was quieter than usual. Why?’
‘She had a go at me before you got here.’
‘What about?’
‘It’s complicated,’ he said, ‘but, basically, a man on my floor is playing two of the women live in the flats off against each other.’
‘Oh yeh, which ones, do I know them?’ I said.
‘One of them’s the one lives up top and she was the one told me about it, you know, about what was going on. She told me because she wanted to know if I knew anything seeing as I live on the same floor as he does.
‘Anyway, I told her this morning and she got angry because she’d already been told and didn’t think I should’ve said anything...’
‘Who told her about it?’
‘...her up top, same as told me as she was slagging off the other woman too, but anyway she got angry when I told her, had a go at me before you got here and said she’s not talking to me anymore.’
‘Oh,’ I said, ‘could be a mixed blessing.’
‘Mmm, I suppose so,’ he said, ‘but now I’m stuck in the middle between three women and a man.’
‘Sounds like a dangerous place to be,’ I said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home