Friday, March 28, 2008

VALUE FOR MONEY

Daughter’s friend is here and I’m on show. More aware of my movements and the holes in my the upper of my right boot.
I cook and don’t say I’ve already cooked a beef stew at work because I’m embarrassed that it’s what I’ve done today and what I do for a living.
Thebus said, when he visited last week during his break, that he and I were like Bristol City, who I’d just said were frightened of success, of making the big time, winning promotion, which is why after reaching the top of the Championship they’ve developed a losing streak.
‘We’re the same,’ he said. ‘Not taking it that bit further, like getting a job we could do was interesting, paid well.’ He remembered Stuart the gardener. ‘We had similar skills but he had the voice, the accent and the volume, could talk his way into charging a lot for doing a little. Not like me I’d give it away, work for practically nothing.’
‘I fitted a bathroom once,’ I said, ‘and underestimated the cost of materials, paid for the extra out of what I was getting for the job, too scared to ask the woman I was doing it for. I thought she’d say, “No,” if I asked her and something like, “And you’re not worth what I’m paying you anyway.” I made something on it but not as much as I should have.’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home