Saturday, June 27, 2009

WORM CENSUS

It was the second time I’d seen Pension Plan the morning of. The first on my way to and now, on my way back from dropping money in an envelope off at Fly’s
‘Morning,’ I said, and having noticed the handle of a garden tool I assumed was a spade, sticking up behind him out of a pannier, ‘You on your way to the allotment?’
‘No,’ he said, ‘Willsbridge, dig up some worms and count them.’
‘You mean do a worm census?’
He laughed, said, ‘Yes, and count the different species of worm as well.’
‘I didn’t know there were different species of worm.’
‘Yes,’ he said.
‘Have a nice day, then,’ I said as he made to leave.
‘It’s my birthday too, today,’ he said. ‘That’s why I’m going out.’
‘Oh, okay,’ I said and, ‘Happy birthday,’ as I waved him goodbye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home