Friday, March 31, 2006

EVERY LITTLE HELPS

Before I turned the corner I heard voices. One said, ‘thank you.’
When I turned the corner I saw two people heads close together sat in the subway opposite Debenhams.
‘Spare any change, Guvnor?’ he asked.
‘Anything will do,’ she said, ‘I’m six months pregnant, so anything will do.’
I stopped, put my hand in the left outer pocket of my coat my friend says makes me look like a character felt around for whatever change I might have and after what seemed like a minute took out a ten and two pence coin disappointed said, ‘I’m sorry it’s all I’ve got,’ and put it in the outstretched hand of the woman.
‘Oh, that’s okay,’ she said, ‘every little helps,’ me walking away, ‘thanks, man, nice one.’


NO NOT REALLY

From the Pit I saw a man sitting on the left in the subway goes to Stokes. Passing I’ll say, when he asks, ‘sorry, haven’t got any,’ and maybe add, ‘just gave it your mates back there.’
The man, the one I saw fixing on the stairwell that time I told about, said, ‘evening.’
‘Alright?’ I replied, a Bristol greeting might sound like, ‘reet?’ if you’re broad.
‘No, not really, I’m cold and hungry.’
‘Yeh, sorry,’ I said, ‘sorry,’ holding up my hand walking round the corner and up the steps.

1 Comments:

At Fri Mar 31, 09:20:00 PM, Blogger baruch said...

Which came first - the beggsr or the supermarket slogan. The future could see sponsored begging?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home