Monday, June 19, 2006

HANGIN'

I’d not seen her before, ever, not here, not anywhere.
She’d got in above me was in the back right corner.
I said, ‘if you move the other side...’
‘...oh...’
‘...that’s it, and forward a bit...’
‘...oh...’
‘...thanks, I can get my bike in...there...thanks.’
‘Okay,’ she said.
She stood close to me and the wheel behind her and didn’t move in to the space in front of her.
‘I heard this lift breaks down a lot,’ she said.
‘Well, yes it does sometimes.’
‘I heard it broke down twice last week.’
‘It wasn’t working the whole day on Tuesday,’ I said.
‘I don’t live here,’ she said. ‘I’m only visiting but I couldn’t walk all the way up.’
‘It’s a nightmare.’
‘I’m a heavy smoker it’d do me in.’
‘I don’t smoke and come the sixth floor...’
‘...you’re hangin',’ she said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home