Saturday, July 15, 2006

TOMORROW’S HISTORY

‘Excuse me,’ I said, ‘excuse me.’
I was stood near Sound Control behind two men.
‘What you doing?’ I asked when they half turned to me while keeping an eye on up the road. ‘You photographing buses?’
‘It’s what we do,’ said the man on the right. ‘We photograph trains and planes too as well as buses.’
‘Transport,’ I said.
‘Yes. Some people like football - don’t get me wrong I watched the World Cup though I wasn’t that impressed, not just by England, the whole thing - anyway, I like to photograph buses and the rest.’
‘Oh,’ I said.
‘Today’s photograph is tomorrow’s history,’ said the man on the left who wore a red Fred Perry tee-shirt and a green bush hat and carried a black camera with a telephoto lens.
‘What you do with the photos, put them on the web?’
The man on the right, wearing a white collared shirt, cream coloured hat, and holding a pocket size digital camera with large LCD, said, ‘the web’s opened the whole field and now I’m retired I might have time to put my stuff on...there’s lots of interest...a group of us travel around...we were in Swindon this morning they had some old buses on show and there was lots of people come to see them...then we came here and in fifteen minutes we’ll go get our coach and drive back to Kent.’
‘Kent?' That’s a long way you must be keen.’
‘The other side of Canterbury,’ he said. ‘I was here twenty years ago when City Line was operating the buses now it’s First Bus.’
‘I remember City Line,’ I said. ‘The buses were mostly red with some yellow and blue now they’re mostly white.’
‘That’s right, it changes how the city looks.’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home