Sunday, August 20, 2006

THE OLD FIELD

I stood next to her bed apologising for not taking her feelings seriously when she told me how she felt about the old field.
Earlier a camper van’d come through the gate followed by four men on foot and a six door black vintage automobile that could have been a hearse.
I thought, ‘who are these men, are they gay?’ and, ‘what are they doing here?’
People around me were using words I didn’t know.
‘Who took the dome?’ I asked.
‘It was the crane,’ he said and pointed at the yellow crane lifting the dome off the top of the hill.
‘We shouldn’t give him all the money if the dome isn’t here,’ I said looking at the light green circle where the dome had been.
I walked through the corridors to the room in the corner and stood next to her bed apologising as she lay staring out the window as I spoke then rolled over on to her right side and facing away from me.
I left the room and went home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home