Monday, February 13, 2006

THE ROAD HOME

When I get back I’m waiting for the lift at 1. It’s not moving and I hear a man’s voice from above say, ‘yeh, yeh, ok bye,’ as he gets into the lift. It comes down and I look at the floor so I don’t have to look at anyone getting out when the doors open. But no one comes out. I look up and see a man and a dog. The man moves aside and I get in all the while keeping my bike between the two of us.
He says, ‘sorry.’
I say, ‘thanks.’
He asks what floor and I tell him.
The lift doors close and we start going up when the man turns to me and says, ‘you’ll have to excuse the smell she’s just done one,’ with a nod to the dog.
I say after a slight pause, ‘not lift trained yet then?’
We laugh and our eyes meet for a moment. The lift stops and as the man leaves he and I say, bye,’ at the same time.
‘Come on,’ he says to the dog as they disappear round a corner.

2 Comments:

At Mon Feb 13, 10:05:00 PM, Blogger baruch said...

How satisfying did you find this contact?
Would it have been better if he had said nothing...
or...
if he had starting telling you his life story?

 
At Mon Feb 13, 10:52:00 PM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

it was a breath of fresh air

 

Post a Comment

<< Home