Tuesday, June 20, 2006

SAT ON A WALL

‘Sometimes I envy those people on Stokes Croft sat on a wall and drinking all day,’ I said.
‘I don’t believe you,’ she said from the left next to me.
‘No, I do, really,’ I said. ‘They sit there drinking not getting up in the morning unless it’s to get an early can and not working...I mean, how do they get away without working, I’d like to know?’
‘What, you really want to spend your time doing that?’
‘Sometimes, I said, sometimes. You know, I just feel tired and want a break and I see them there and think, “I could do with a bit of that”’
‘I don’t believe you,’ she said.
‘It’s true, I mean it.’
‘I can’t believe you envy them. You know they disappear?’
‘I know. The years I’ve seen people sitting there, I’ve seen them deteriorating - stepped over a few - seen them get worse and then I don’t see them anymore, but sometimes I could do with a break and I see them there sat on the wall...’

3 Comments:

At Tue Jun 20, 06:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's possible to envy something - and not really want it.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 12:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry. Your wishes will come true;you WILL become a street drinker.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 11:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful what you wish for!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home