Friday, February 17, 2006

BIKE VERSUS TAXI

Coming down Park Street on the bike after work this evening a taxi making a u-turn cut in front of me forcing me towards the back of a parked car and a lamppost. I shouted, ‘no,’ loud as I could, hit the kerb to the left of the lamppost, went over the handlebars, landed on the pavement, slid a good ten metres and heard something clatter in front of me might be a lens from my glasses was my front light and batteries.
A woman said, ‘you all right?’
I said I was ok - lying there.
‘What a bastard,’ she said, ‘they’re all bastards,’ and a man asked, ‘you all right?’
I got up, got the bike, front forks brake lever bent, limped down the hill to where the police who’d been coming out of a side turning’d seen what had happened and pulled the taxi over round the corner on Unity by Sue Sheppard.
A man came towards me, the taxi driver I thought and started to have a go but he was the fare who’d seen it too and was on my side.
The police took details and a brief statement from me stood on the street and the driver sat in the police car.
I went to the BRI on my way home, signed a form authorising access to information about my cuts and bruises and got given a tetanus/diptheria jab I’ve to tell my doctor about.

2 Comments:

At Sat Feb 18, 03:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a horrible thing to happen - what did the woman mean "they're all bastards"/ Was the taxi driver Black/Asian - a racist comment, or a supportively angry comment about all taxi drivers?

 
At Sat Feb 18, 04:32:00 PM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

a comment about taxi drivers in general I think/hope because I don't think she saw this particular driver...I didn't know he was white/asian/black or what - and haven't said in the post nor do I think it important - til I saw him in the back of the police car

 

Post a Comment

<< Home