Tuesday, February 14, 2006

'DON’T MIND ME'

Went in the front entrance to the flats and stood behind a woman who was using crutches and had only one leg, the right one. I wondered if the loss of the left was drug related and remembered what my friend had told me after he’d visited in hospital a man who’d just had his leg amputated because of drug use. He said, ‘he looked at me and said, “it’s not a game anymore is it?”’
This went through my mind as the lift came down the door opened we got in, her first then me, when a man appeared round the corner and got in too.
The woman asked me, ‘what floor?’ and I noticed she only pressed mine and one other button.
‘How are you?’ she asked the man with two carrier bags I couldn’t tell what was in, who looked rough, red faced, a black eye a few days old and had come with him a strong smell of alcohol.
‘Hell...shit,’ he said.
‘What’s happened, what’s wrong?’
‘I’ll tell you in a minute,’ he said.
A short pause.
'Don’t mind me,’ I said and we travelled the rest of the way in silence.

4 Comments:

At Tue Feb 14, 08:52:00 PM, Blogger baruch said...

It's all go at the croft!

 
At Tue Feb 14, 10:00:00 PM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

isn't it though...or are you pulling my leg?

 
At Tue Feb 14, 11:15:00 PM, Blogger baruch said...

It just seems as though you can't go anywhere without meeting someone

 
At Wed Feb 15, 10:47:00 AM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

I know. To be honest I spend a lot of time hoping no one will join me waiting for the lift, that there'll be no one there when I go in to the flats and that I'll have a person free run down in the lift from my flat, but it doesn't always happen and when people do get in especially in pairs or more they very often continue with their conversation (s)
one day I'll write a blog "I got back to the flats and met no one, the lift was clean..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home