Monday, February 13, 2006

CROWD SEAGULL FIREMEN

When I got to Broadmead 11:48 this morning I saw a crowd of people outside Marks and Spencer looking up towards the roof of one of the shops opposite where when I looked up I saw a seagull caught in the netting put there to prevent pigeons and other birds from sitting or roosting on the ledge just below the top of the building.
The seagull wasn’t struggling had its wings pulled up and slightly behind it. I thought, ‘it must be uncomfortable, maybe frightened too, hanging there like that.’
I walked over, stood at the edge of the crowd and watched a fireman carrying a yellow heavy duty pvc bag climb up a ladder that’d been extended to rest on the roof’s edge just to the left of the gull. The fireman tried a few times to put the bag over the gull’s head but couldn’t do it.
‘The bag’s too small,’ I said to no one in particular.
A woman next to me said, ‘what’s he trying to do?’
‘Get the seagull in the bag,’ I said.
Another fireman climbed the ladder took the bag and managed to manouver it over the gull’s head as the first fireman cut the netting that held its wings.
A man, who I’ve often seen preaching in Broadmead, walking through the crowd said pointing, ‘look at that seagull it was trapped and needed help and if it hadn’t got any help it would have died...it needed help just like you need help...God's help...and you must ask Him for His help.’
As the two firemen climbed down the ladder carrying the seagull in the bag the crowd applauded. ‘It’s lovely isn’t it,’ said a woman passing in front of me with a friend, ‘all this for a bird?’
I asked one of the firemen who’d been on the ground watching his colleagues above, ‘what’s going to happen to it now?’
‘We’ll take it to the RSPCA and let them check it out.’
‘Thanks,’ I said.
I left the scene twenty-seven minutes after I’d arrived.

2 Comments:

At Tue Feb 14, 03:47:00 PM, Blogger baruch said...

Surely you made the bit about the preacher up - its straight out of Life of Brian!

 
At Tue Feb 14, 06:40:00 PM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

no God's honest truth...he's a regular and I was impressed by his skill in adapting what was happening to his message

 

Post a Comment

<< Home