Tuesday, April 25, 2006

SHE CAME TO MY FLAT

She came to my flat this afternoon, the first time for a while.
When we left we got the lift came down from the floor above and shared the ride with a man already there.
‘What floor you want?’ he asked.
‘Ground,’ I said.
‘Ground?’ he said.
‘Yes, Ground.’
Pause.
‘You got everything?’ I said to her.
‘Yes.’
Pause.
‘You know any good places to get a taxi near here?’ he said.
‘Yeh, down on to Stokes Croft...’
‘...the main road...?’
‘...yes...’
‘...there’s a taxi rank by the newsagent isn’t there?
‘Yes, not many taxis mind except on a club night but a lot drive past but if not go into town it’s not far.’
‘Thanks.’
‘I called one from here at night one time,’ she said, ‘and they refused to come get me.’
‘Was it you they wouldn’t pick up?’
‘No, they didn’t want to come to the estate, they know what it’s like.’
‘Some of them live here,’ I said.
‘Exactly.’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home