Sunday, May 21, 2006

LIE DOWN

He was coughing, clearing his throat, leaning against the wall, as I entered the foyer.
‘Alright?’ he said.
‘That sounds rough.’
‘Yeh, gonna get upstairs have a lie down, is what I need.’
In the lift he said, ‘how’s your day going?’
‘Yeh, okay, thanks. The weather’s a bit iffy though, isn’t it?’
‘Yeh, is, yeh. I got wet already.’
‘Yeh, me too. Could’ve done without it today.’
Thinking, ‘I hope he doesn’t spit on the floor,’ because I like him, and if I knew he’s one of the people does it, I’d be disappointed.
‘I’m gonna get inside,’ he said, ‘have a drink of water, take a couple of aspirins, and lie down for a while.’
‘You think that’ll work?’ I said, thinking a score might work better.
‘Hope so.’
We didn’t speak again until he left the lift a few floors below mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home