Wednesday, March 15, 2006

AN EXCELLENT DISPLAY

We were standing together in a queue to nowhere in particular when I noticed the poster saying:

10 Year Anniversary
Big-Screen Football
£5 entrance

...remembered the first time I’d been there and said, ‘I’m going to that.’
She said, ‘I’ll come with you.’
A man behind us said, ‘I’ve just bought my ticket.’
As we lay front down two metres between us and facing towards the opening of the coach house I felt aroused looking at her thought, ‘I don’t want to get involved,’ and kept the distance.
My friend, recovering after a recent illness, made an announcement - when I say “go” you have two minutes to choose what you want.
He said, ‘go.’
She and I and lots of other people who’d been waiting too moved at once into the centre of the rectangle formed by the trestle tables arranged on the lawn. I found a small plant in a square plastic pot held it in my right hand until I got to where to pay when I gave it to her still with me to hold.
Saw a table with on it toy cars, boxes, pictures of games and heard someone say, ‘it’s like snakes and ladders,’ then to my friend who stood smiling and wearing only an apron, ‘an excellent display may I say one of the best I’ve seen.’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home