Wednesday, March 01, 2006

‘I’M GOING UP’

The back lift (the one at the top of the hill) isn’t working at the moment it’s been blocked off at each floor it serves so work on it can start and last, they say, for about six months.
The first time I couldn’t use it to get to my flat because I’d my bike I had to use the lift at the front of the building, the one most often littered with rubbish and spit, and called it from the Sixth floor the level you walk in at the back.
I pressed the button to my floor but the lift went down to Ground first and I said to the four men I saw waiting to get in when the door opened, ‘I’m going up.’
They got in. One who lives the floor below mine and carrying a shopping bag in each hand said, ‘alright,’ and I said, ‘alright,’ to him and to the man stood by the buttons, ‘twelve for me,’ then remebered I’d pressed for my floor already when I got in at Six.

Later after coming back from seeing if my friend was in the cafe she said she’d be - turned out she wasn’t - a woman stood behind a bike in the lift when the door opened at G said, ‘I’m not getting out I’m going up,’ and, ‘I’ve had to come down to go up it’s such a drag,’ after me and a man’d been waiting longer got in.
I said, ‘I’ve done that one as well today they’ve blocked the other lift off.’
‘I know,’ she said.’
When she got out on Six she said, ‘can you press One when you get out?’
‘Yes, ok.’
I was out floor below the man and said to him, ‘cheers then.’
‘Yeh, take it easy man.’

4 Comments:

At Wed Mar 01, 11:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weren't you all a bit TOO CLOSE.?.

 
At Thu Mar 02, 12:08:00 AM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

we respected personal space and didn't make any demands on each other so TOO CLOSE wasn't an issue that arose...well at least not for me

 
At Thu Mar 02, 12:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as you wern't telling each other giant porkies I guess thats fine

 
At Thu Mar 02, 08:02:00 AM, Blogger alexhighrise said...

we might have said things we were unable to fulfill like 'see you later' patently not true.
But I did not obstruct any of the other's way out of the lift and they were therefore able to depart and go where they needed and get what they wanted

 

Post a Comment

<< Home